Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Beacon Drive-In

As I was getting settled in, and waiting for the dogs to adjust to their 4th bedroom in 2 weeks -- the 3rd in 24 hours -- I received a phone call from Patrick (the student who had recommended the Denny's job and "Campus Place" to me), inviting me out to lunch with his wife and daughter. We opted to check out the infamous Beacon Drive-In (beacondrivein.com), a local burger spot where you almost get as much meat as you do grease. The menu is huge, and they have some delicious burgers. As I approached the blind gentleman standing at the front of the ordering line, he shouted, "Caaaaaall It!"

As we attacked the orgy of beef, fries, and onion rings, Patrick's daughter nibbled on some peas and chick peas (brought from home). She is the most adorable thing I've ever seen, at only 10 months old. I offered her a french fry, but since she didn't know me, she looked it over and held it for a few minutes before hesitantly nibbling on it. After that, she wanted nothing to do with the peas and beans, and she demands more fries from her mom. They joked that I had "created a monster" by offering the fry.

The Beacon also touts it famous sweet tea, which I had no clue was this popular in the South. I have friends from Georgia and South Carolina who would always order sweet tea at restaurants, but I had no idea it was such a big deal to have really good sweet tea. And boy, was this tea tasty! All in all, I had half of an amazing burger, a few fries, a few onion rings, and two cups of tea, for about $7. It was very tasty, but incredibly filling (and guilt-inducing).

But I definitely will be back... particularly if my girlfriend, Marta, comes to visit -- she's very conscious of what she eats, always opting for healthy options when we go out (though she'll pick at my food without a problem). I can't wait to see her reaction when we enter the restaurant, with the aroma of fried onions permeating throughout, and the blind guy at the beginning of the line shouting "Caaaaaaaaaall It!" It was an experience I knew was inevitable, so I am glad I got it right away. For those of you who are from the Atlanta area, or at least have been there long enough to check out some of the local and well-known burger joints, think of this town's version of Atlanta's "The Varsity" (thevarsity.com). Apparently, the place is so well known that Guy Fieri from Food Network, did a feature on the place for his "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" show (Diners A-Plenty, Episode DV0111).

If you're ever in town, or want to pay me a visit here in the 'Burg, this is definitely a place to check out.

You stay classy,

E

No comments: